Monday, September 21, 2009

Blog #7: Photography




Modern photography has been around since the 1800s. Since then, it has been used to document our lives, scenery and events. Over time photography has advanced through technology to the point where you can do pretty amazing things. From expensive cameras with a wide range of capabilities to programs like photoshop for editing pictures, it is obvious how far photography has developed since the first photographs were taken. People make photography their hobby or even career.
I find photography to be very interesting. There is something about being able to capture a moment in time that is incredibly fascinating. I have a high respect for art and enjoy looking at art galleries and shops of photography. My major is interior design so I also enjoy seeing what a picture can add to a space. The artwork in a room can totally change the mood or feeling and also can leave the greatest impression on a visitor.
I wouldn’t really say I have that vast of knowledge regarding photography. I would mainly say that I know some basics. I know how to use my digital camera and I also know some terminology dealing with photography like zoom, focus, crop, pixilation and saturation, as well as some elements to look for in photographs such as composition. I also know there’s different categories of pictures, for example, contemporary, portrait, landscape and architectural.
Aside from my own personal digital camera use I do not have much experience in photography. Most of the pictures I take are for fun with my friends or family. I have had to analyze a photograph in an art history course that I took my freshman year for an assignment comparing a work of art in history to a contemporary piece. That is about all the farther my knowledge and experience with photography extends to. I think it is more interesting to incorporate multi-media into writing and I’m hoping it will also make it easier.



Photograph by Marius Romila

No comments:

Post a Comment