Monday, November 30, 2009

WP#: Third Pre-Write


On Thursday during class I experienced a new form of music composed by Wayne Coyne which he calls Zaireeka. I found it to be extremely interesting and unlike anything I have ever been a part of. It enabled me to see music as more than just what it is and changed my perception of it as well. It introduced me to a whole new way of thinking, one that I feel like I still cannot quite completely grasp on to. The thought of taking one element and joining it with other elements of its kind the way Wayne Coyne did with his 4 individual CD’s is a task that seems a rather mind boggling to me. You would not have thought that the bizarre and diverse sounds, lyrics and melodies that were coming from the four different sets of speakers would blend together to make a single song that is actually pleasing to listen to. However, when the tracks were in unison or at least playing somewhat in the manor they were intended to, the musical composition that resulted was amazing and intriguing. It was almost something that I can’t even put into words. This concept of taking something and considering it for more than what it is can be applied to my sculpture for the third writing assignment.

An initial response towards Arietta II by any random person who passes by might just simply be an attitude of recognition and appreciation for the piece of art. This would be what I would consider to be taking the object for what it is, nothing more, nothing less. This person could identify that the sculpture is indeed made up of individual steel cut-outs of birds welded together to make the shape of a vase. If this were the case, this person could still take a deeper look at the sculpture to realize there is more to it than that. Listening to and experiencing Zaireeka has given me a greater understanding of how to tap into the idea of conceptualizing a sculpture for more than just a sculpture.

I think my sculpture, as an art object, adds to its natural environment that surrounds it in an important way. The sculpture is located outside of Sheldon Art Museum. It is in the center of a pad of grass that is surrounded by a few trees and some bushes. Although a steel sculpture is not something I would normally consider natural, I feel like its location and the fact that it is made up of birds helps the object become part of its natural surroundings. Birds are commonly seen outside and obviously they live in trees. The birds that make up this sculpture are larger than what would normally be seen on city campus. I think this is something interesting to consider and also an intensification of the natural environment that surrounds Arietta II. Without the sculpture there would be nothing that really sets this specific area on campus apart from other areas. The art object creates interest. The shadow of the sculpture is an art object in itself which brings interest into the surrounding environment. It creates movement because of the individual placement of each bird. It provokes thought and question and inspires imagination. I don’t feel like this area would posses these things if the sculpture wasn’t there.

No comments:

Post a Comment